[Xorg-driver-geode] Update -- The RandR-"unable to setrotation"issue in AMD Geode LX platform

Mitch Davis mjd-xorg-driver-geode at afork.com
Sun Jun 20 21:32:10 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Cui, Hunk <Hunk.Cui at amd.com> wrote:

>        I know your Error key point, because it couldn't allocate the shadow memory for rotation after crtc_shadow_allocate.
>        In our xf86-video-geode driver, all of memories are allocated by GeodeAllocOffscreen, the exa offscreen memory is part of the memorySize. And the rotation data is not in memorySize, it is allocated after memorySize.
>        You can check your Xorg.0.log file about "Gedoe LX video memory" and "LX video memory", because the shadow buffer (rotate memory) will be allocated from "FREE memory", if only 0x0 bytes are available, it can not do the rotate operation.

Hello Hunk,

Well, it's working now! :-)

This is with X server version 1.7.5, Geode driver version 2.11.8, and
your temporary patch.

One thing that is really necessary is changing the video memory
setting in the BIOS:

  Advanced Chipset Features -> Video Memory Size

I found that if this is set to 8M or 16M, the rotate fails with the
out-of-memory log message.  If it's set to 32M, the rotate succeeds.

Two other points I've noticed:  One is that after the rotation, there
are some colourful random pixels on the edge of the screen.  Once they
were on the physical bottom (logical top) of the screen, and another
time they were on the physical right (logical left) of the screen.  In
the latter case, I tried dragging a window over them, but it seems the
random pixels are 1 pixel outside the normal graphics drawing area.

In addition, if I try to use Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch back to a text
screen, the screen goes black (no signal).  I can still type (blind)
on that console, and I can switch back to X with no problems, but the
text consoles have no image.  This is using the kernel's vesafb for
the console.  This problem might not be to do with rotation, it might
be something I'm doing wrong, so I will look at this some more.

Thank you for your help!  I am happy to do further testing of the
driver in the future.

Mitch.