[Xorg-driver-geode] proposal: always build with -march=geode

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 13 16:21:04 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 17:11 -0400, Writer, Tim wrote:

> Hmmm. I see a desire to build upstream Xorg from source and being an
> unsuspecting builder/newcomer as mutually exclusive. While this
> particular error message is a little opaque, the solution is straight
> forward and only an apt-get/yum/YaST, etc. away. I think most
> developers
> will have no trouble understanding that building 32-bit anything on a
> 64-bit platform requires at least a basic 32-bit development
> environment. Once we have 32-bit builds working correctly on 64-bit
> systems, it would be useful to add the above error to a FAQ (is there
> FAQ for xorg-driver-geode?) but what else can we do. Most (all?) Linux
> distributions are packaged this way, with separate 64-bit and 32-bit
> development environments. Even if we would prefer it another way, what
> can we reasonably do about it?

I agree. Building on as many platforms as possible should not be a goal
for geode.
Because only a dozen or so out of the 240 xorg packages do not build on
large number of
platforms, some people don't know if it is a real build error and report
problems.

The patches I originally suggested were meant to address this low
priority "feature".
This seem to have resurrected past proposals which are outside my
competencies.

Bottom line, there is a requirement to build 32 bit driver on 64 bit
host and this takes precedence.
I am ok with aborting the config with some message to avoid bug report.

There is still the second I mention to verify.