[Xorg-driver-geode] Performance of rdesktop in Xorg-7.4

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Tue Mar 31 08:15:23 PDT 2009

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2009-03-31 kell 20:06, kirjutas Sid Kapoor:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently I compiled Xorg-7.4 (xorg-server-1.5.1). It compiled
> successfully, but the performance of rdesktop with this xorg is not
> satisfactory. Screen refresh while rendering heavy graphics is taking
> a lot of time and is very slow. My system has AMD Geode LX processor.
> I am using 'geode' video driver.
> I installed the MesaLib-7.1 package for GL libraries. The variables
> on which it is giving errors are present in gl.h and glext.h header
> files, which are present in the proper path and are included in the
> "indirect_size_get.c" file. Due to these errors I have to disable dri
> and glx options while compiling xorg-server-1.5.1. Can anyone tell me
> the reason of these errors, or is there any other alternative to
> enhance the rdesktop performance (while rendering heavy graphics) ?

You are not looking for alternatives, because having OpenGL support
doesn't increase rdesktop performance because it doesn't use OpenGL at
all - so how could it help?

I'm not qualified on the affects of having this "DRI" thing or not, but
Geode doesn't have it and no-one is rushing to do it, perhaps even not
possible (or needed?).

Increasing performance most probably involves actually profiling what
and why is slow and improving that in the xf6-video-geode driver code
and xorg-server EXA code. Helping hands much welcome there..

rdesktop is probably pretty nice and relatively easy case for
performance fixing, because it probably uses quite a limited set of
drawing commands for RDP protocol as far as I understand and therefore a
limited set of code paths and drawing ops to improve.

If you'd have some sysprof logs to go along with a too slow rdesktop
session (that isn't network bound) and added that as an attachment to a
bug about rdesktop being slow on Geode (there's a Driver/AMD bugzilla
component for xorg product), then that'd be some progress :)

Some more information is for example at
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-December/022034.html
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-December/022036.html

Regards,