[Xorg-driver-geode] Tearing Effects in Videos

John Yoder jtyoder at twny.net
Sun Mar 15 15:30:44 PDT 2009

Thanks for the response. I have another question, do you see this in a
Xorg window at the videos standard resolution also?

I didn't see anything major wrong with your configuration, I think that
is good. I believe this is happening within the XVOverlay of the driver.
I don't believe this is a vsync issue as the hardware doesn't quite work
that way. I believe the overlay is drawing (blitting) what it has in the
video overlay framebuffer. The Overlay Engine is responsible for the
YUV->RGB conversion and also scaling. As I recall, in the driver there
is some calculations for video starting point in memory, etc. and this
may be a bit off. This actually happens before the hardware scales so it
may have been there for some time and not seen until the video is
scaled.

I need to duplicate this and I'll get some hardware to do that this
week. Until I duplicate this I am not certain what is happening. I'll
keep you posted on what I find out.

Best Regards,

John Yoder