[Xorg-driver-geode] Xorg.conf for Geode LX LVDS panel

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Thu Jan 8 04:14:57 PST 2009

Hello,

Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2009-01-08 kell 09:35, kirjutas Dirk De Becker:
> Dirk De Becker wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry to re-open this old topic, but I finally found some time to
> > test things a little more.
> > I notice that I can get my X working if I erase my xorg.conf, and
> > let X figure it out for itself.
> > However, the image does not fully fit on the screen (I only see the
> > top part of my desktop).
> > I tried X --configure as well, but if I use the xorg.conf that is
> > created by that command, I do not get an image on my screen.
> > However, since X can run (and give me an image) if there is no
> > config file available, I am sure that it must be possible to get it
> > working correctly.
> > Is there a way to make X write its configuration, once it is
> > running?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Dirk
> >
> I found in the Xorg.0.log file which configuration it is using.
> Apparently, it uses the vesa driver. Of course, that is not what I
> want.
> Is there a way to make xorg use the geode driver, and to let it figure
> out the rest by itself?

Latest xorg-server code should detect geode automatically without a
xorg.conf. Apparently your xorg-server doesn't yet.

The following is a minimal xorg.conf adapted from what Xorg uses on its
own in the lack of one when geode autodetection works (you can see it in
Xorg.0.log when launching without xorg.conf), with the fbdev/vesa/vga
fallback bits removed. This should work with xorg-server-1.5.x or newer
(perhaps also older) to get everything besides driver choice configured
by X itself:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Builtin Default geode Device 0"
	Driver	"geode"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Builtin Default geode Screen 0"
	Device	"Builtin Default geode Device 0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Builtin Default Layout"