[Xorg-driver-geode] Proposal: 2.7.7.7 deadline for March 28th

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Tue Mar 11 23:20:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
> On 11/03/08 17:40 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
>  > Hi folks,
>  >
>  > Jordan and I propose a release deadline of March 28th for 2.7.7.7.
>  > Below are proposed details of this release.  Please discuss.
>  >
>  > * According to Jordan, there are no known regressions for
>  > pre-libpciaccess X.org since 2.7.7.6.
>  > * Jordan would like a few non-regressions fixed before release.
>  >    - Merge libpciaccess OLPC patches.
>  >    - Fix the wide mode DDC issue.
>  >    - Fix the new panel issue.
>
>  > * Jordan suggests now is the time to rename the driver from 'amd' to
>  > 'geode'.  Renaming will happen in git later this week, then the release
>  > late this month will use the new name.
>
>  I think that if we're going to do the rename, we might as well bump the
>  revision to 2.8 and quit with the 4 digit release numbers for no good reason.
>  We originally went with the AMD style of release numbers to show a kinship
>  between the open code and the old AMD code that was on our website.  This
>  code now shares so little in common with the previous code that its just
>  not very interesting to keep common versioning.  However, I realize that
>  every distribution would say "ouch" at the same time if we went back to 1.0,
>  so I think that moving to 2.8 and moving on from there is the best way
>  to proceed.
>
>  I realize that the rename will end up hurting somebody somewhere, but
>  realize there really is no good time for us to do this.  In fact, we've been
>  putting it off for so long because there has been no good time to do this.
>  We just need to do it, and deal with the short term pain and move on with
>  our lives.
>
>  So the release on March 28 will be for xf86-video-geode-2.8.  Functionally,
>  it will include the bits detailed above.  At the source code level I'm
>  also going to run it through the indent and whitespace scripts.
>
>  At release time we'll open the floor for suggestions for the next
>  release.  We'll give a week or two for everybody to ask for the moon,
>  and then we'll cut the requests back down to the more attainable
>  low-earth orbit, and decide when we'll make our next release.
>
>  We'll send out e-mails detailing how to survive the transition to
>  xf86-video-geode when we're ready to make the switch.  In the meantime,
>  as usual, test, test, test.
>
>  Thanks Warren for your help.

I agree with the overall plan for 2.8.0, except for one thing: X.org
7.4 (core 1.5) will end up releasing without us if we postpone until
the end of March. In fact, in principle, we should already be in
feature freeze.

PS: I'm currently abroad, away from my development workstation. My new
laptop is powerful enough to be used for development and I indeed have
all the tools installed, but X.org's recipe for sending new SSH keys
doesn't work on a host without a fixed MTA. I welcome ideas on how to
work around this and get my SSH keys updated, so that I can chip in
from sunny Turkey.

PPS: Artec Group's LX800-powered DBE62 model will be used in a highly
public demonstration of Estonian ICT products to Turkish dignitaries,
early next week and runs using the above X.org driver. ;)

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi