[Xorg-driver-geode] looking at wide mode support for GeodeLX (success)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Mar 2 13:26:20 PST 2008

Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Bart Trojanowski <bart at jukie.net> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>>  * Bart Trojanowski <bart at jukie.net> [080229 13:35]:
>>  > Earlier, Jordan presented a patch:
>>  >
>>  > http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-geode/2008-February/000211.html
>>  >
>>  > I tested it with on Gutsy (xorg-core 1.3.0) and found that it was
>>  > skipping most of the modes in LXValidMode() because it was not in the
>>  > Cimarron table.
>>
>>  I am attaching the original patch plus a small logic correction..
>>
>>  -    if ((pMode->type & M_T_BUILTIN) || (pMode->type && M_T_DEFAULT)) {
>>  +    if ((pMode->type & M_T_BUILTIN) || (pMode->type & M_T_DEFAULT)) {
>>
>>  ... I read through the patch a few times and didn't spot it until I
>>  started looking at the values of mode->type.
>>
>>  I don't have a way to test this with a PANEL connected.  But I can
>>  confirm that wide modes work.  I am happy to sign off on the patch.
>
> Committed to X.org git.
>
> OLPC and projects with a TFT:  please test ASAP and report any issue
> that might have crept in.
>
> If nobody reports anything major by the end of this week, this will be
> pushed (along with the final version of Bernie's libpciaccess port) as
> xf86-video-amd 2.7.7.7 and released with X.org 7.4 (server core 1.5).

Tried with a combination of this widemode patch and Bart's 3 patches for
X86EMU on the TK-3550 with Phoenix AwardBIOS on Fedora 8's
xorg-server-1.3.0.0 with my Dell 1680x1050 TFT screen.

widemode patch alone did not seem to help.  The system still deadlocks
completely when I tried to run X with autoconfiguration (no xorg.conf)
which chooses vesa.  If I try with a minimal xorg.conf with the amd
driver, X works at 800x600 resolution but deadlocks the system entirely
if X dies.

I then patched
/xorg-server-1.3.0.0/hw/xfree86/common//xorg-server-1.3.0.0/hw/xfree86/common
so that the PCI ID will automatically pick the amd driver if xorg.conf
does not exist.

The addition of X86EMU patches allowed X to run without deadlock, but
only at 800x600 resolution.  Attached is the Xorg.0.log from this attempt.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com