[Xorg-driver-geode] switching consoles with GeodeLX

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Jan 31 20:12:19 PST 2008

On 31/01/08 22:38 -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> As many have reported, we have issues with switching back to console
> mode after running X.
>
> I've enabled some debug flags in xorg-core 1.3 (Gutsy) and am running
> tests with the 2.7.7.6 driver.
>
> After pushing Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace, I got this in the logs...
>
>   c000:0282: A2 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE!
>
> ... which is generated by x86emuOp2_illegal_op() in the x86emu code.
> This function is used to denote unused opcodes.

Guhh.  This is GSW again, right?  Whats up with that video BIOS?
I haven't seen this on Insyde in the past, but I haven't tested it
recently.

> So, either the BIOS has some non-i386 instructions in it, or the
> emulator is executing invalid code.  C000:0282 seems to be in the VGA
> BIOS segment, but the memory may have been written over or something
> like that.

Hmmm - it better not have been.  That would be double plus bad.
Mabye our VGA check is doing it - try to set the VGA check to return
TRUE and see if it continues (long shot, but possible).

Whats happening here is that we are trying to execute an INT10 to switch
the mode back to VGA before closing the X screen.  We actually execute
a number of INT10 calls during the init and close process, why it chose
this one to give us an ILLEGAL OPCODE is strange, but I do recall others
having similar error messages at seemingly random times.  Time to
dig back into the emulator, I guess, and see whats happening.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer