[Xorg-driver-geode] looking at wide mode support for GeodeLX

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Jan 31 20:05:42 PST 2008

On 31/01/08 22:18 -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> I picked up a wide format monitor and was looking at what it would take
> to get the -amd driver to support the extra modes.
>
> With the patched xserver-xorg-core 1.3 (gutsy), or 1.4 (hardy), and the
> 2.7.7.6 -amd driver I can get my Linutop/ThinCan (with GS BIOS) upto
> 1280x1024 at 60 in 16bbp.  But so far I have not been able to get it
> higher, or in non 4:3 modes.
>
> To keep the long story short...
>
>  - DDC reports monitor supporting 100+ modes
>  - some are weeded out by xorg-core
>  - rest are passed to LXValidMode() which checks them
>  - many of them pass, but...
>
>    (II) AMD(0): Not using driver mode "1920x1200" (unknown reason)
>    (II) AMD(0): Not using driver mode "1920x1200" (unknown reason)
>    (II) AMD(0): Not using driver mode "1680x1050" (unknown reason)
>    (II) AMD(0): Not using driver mode "1440x900" (unknown reason)
>    (II) AMD(0): Not using driver mode "1280x800" (unknown reason)

> ... all of these were rejected by LXValidMode() because a call to
> vg_get_display_mode_index() didn't match that resolution against the
> CimarronDisplayModes[] table.

Right.   We should probably skip the check in Cimarron for DDC specified
modes, much like we do for user specified modes.  A question for the X
core folks would be if we have a flag that indicates if the mode came from
DDC or not.

Another think to keep in mind is that whatever mode gets passed in
by the DDC needs to be fully qualified with all of the timings - unless
they are standard VESA modes, we can't make any educated guesses.

> are new modelines reported in the log, they don't actually work.  Using
> Alt+- to toggle through the list, I only get upto 1280x1024 at 60.

THats not good, we should be able to support up to 1900x1440, though not
at every refresh rate.     ARe you sure the monitor is reporting higher
modes then 1280x1440 at 60?

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse