[Xorg-driver-geode] Disable compression patch? huh?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 08:03:43 PST 2008

Hi folks,

I am now attempting to pull in the latest upstream drv-amd into Fedora.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/xorg-x11-drv-amd/
We have very old patches in our Fedora 8 driver.  I have confirmed with
Dan Williams that two patches are no longer needed.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/xorg-x11-drv-amd/lx-disable-compression.patch?rev=1.1&view=log
But this patch we are uncertain.  Ajax recalls that it was framebuffer
compression was definitely broken in some way in the past thus it was
completely disabled in our driver.  Interestingly, he also mentions that
"compression" actually uses more memory than without in this case.

Jordan, any idea what this was about?  Is whatever problem it was fixed
upstream now?  Are we better off without compression in general?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com