[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Dec 24 08:07:22 PST 2007

On 24/12/07 10:16 -0500, Gideon Romm wrote:
> A few notes on testing the two debs from Bart:
>
> Hardware
> --------------
> 1. Geode LX800, GSW BIOS:  X starts in 800x600 as in Bart's test, but
> I find I cannot switch virtual terminals to a console login
> (ctrl-alt-F1).  The video gets garbled and it doesn't let go of the
> display.  I can, however, switch back to the X display and it restores
> itself without problems.

To me - that says that Bart's fix has done something to VBE / int10.  This
is the problem with VSE in general - we depend on it for more then just
DDC - its needed to make the VGA behave correctly in many different places.
And I don't think this is unique to Geode - I think this is a pain that
many different drivers have to deal with.

> 2. Geode GX2, GSW BIOS:  X does not start and fails with the Backtrace
> first noted in the launchpad bug.
>
> 3. Geode GX2, GeodeROM BIOS:  X does not start and fails with the same
> backtrace first noted in the launchpad bug.
>
> So, it appears Jordan's patch to fix the backtrace issue fixed it for
> LX but not GX.

Right - I only did the patch for LX - if you want me to do the same thing
for GX, I can (the patch will be similar, but against amd_gx_driver.c and
not amd_lx_driver.c).

> out of the woods.  Now, if the xf86emu is being triggered by the BIOS
> to start reinitializing chipsets and what-not, perhaps all of this
> wonky behavior stems from the same place, and by fixing whatever the
> BIOS is triggering in the emulator will help fix (or even obviate the
> need for a patch in) the amd driver.

The patch is for something completely different - it fixes a good old
fashioned programming error.  I just haven't checked it in yet because
we have so many distros trying to autoconfigure, and segfaults are
better then freezes.

Jordan