[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX DDC freeze in emulator when executing OUTW 0x20

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Mon Dec 24 04:31:39 PST 2007

On 12/24/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote:
> > While the blacklist is certainly useful, I am afraid it just hides the second
> > bug: the BIOS chooses a different path under the emulator than without it (i.e.,
> > through vm86). Access to port 20 is likely to crash Windows XP, too, and this
> > simply cannot happen for marketing reasons.
>
> To avoid misinterpretation: I don't have a Geode card, so the above is just a
> guess, not a bug report.

To explain in which context Bart's report came:

The AMD video driver compiles and works flawlessly until X core 1.1.
Beyond that, various breakages start to appear, most likely due to
changes in X core we haven't kept track of.

Issues that have been reported by end-users include:

1. Failure to switch back to virtual console using CTRL+ALT+Fx.
2. Failure to auto-configure on X core 1.3 and newer, shown as either:
  a) failed DDC falls back to 640x480 @ 4-bit.
  b) complete system freeze.

I notice similar issues on the SiliconMotion driver that my laptop
uses, which is what makes me suspect that less popular drivers, such
as AMD and SiliconMotion, show various signs of breakage simply
because their maintainers haven't been able to keep track of all X
core API changes.

I'd thus like to ask if there's any published TODO on upgrading
drivers for each X subsequent core release since 1.1? For now, we have
documented what we know on this wiki page:

http://www.x.org/wiki/AMDGeodeDriver

We'd appreciate any step we missed for upgrading a driver to each
release since 1.1 that we might have missed there.

Happy holidays and Best Regards,
--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi