[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Gideon Romm gideon at symbio-technologies.com
Thu Dec 20 10:17:52 PST 2007

A few more datapoints:

I have a GX2 unit here with a GeodeROM BIOS.  I figured I would run
some tests to see if they are different with this BIOS than with
others.

Well, in short it is.  The test environment is Ubuntu Gutsy (X.org 1.3)

1. With no amd driver installed, "X -configure" works and chooses the
"nsc" driver.
2. With the amd driver installed, I get the backtrace that first
appeared in the Launchpad bug:

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c8631]
1: [0xffffe420]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//amd_drv.so [0xb7c3be4e]
3: X(DoConfigure+0x117e) [0x80ba87e]
4: X(InitOutput+0x655) [0x80a7fa5]
5: X(main+0x27b) [0x8076c6b]
6: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7d68050]
7: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e5) [0x80761c1]

This happens whether I try the 2.7.7.0, 2.7.7.3, or
2.7.7.0-patched-by-Martin-Eric versions of the driver.

So, while not ideal, at least we find that it does not freeze the
system as on the GSW BIOS-based units.

Now, this problem seems to be geode-driver specific, while the
system-freezing issue seems to happen on the GSW units whether using
amd-driver or vesa-driver, so it seems like more of a X.org/BIOS
related issue.

Hope that helps add to the mystery :)

-Gideon