[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Dec 13 15:33:18 PST 2007

On 13/12/07 17:25 -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> * Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> [071213 16:42]:
> > >     -    useVGA = LXCheckVGA(pScrni);
> > >     +    useVGA = FALSE;
> >
> > So this seems to pretty conclusively prove that the CheckVGA function is
> > acting up.
>
> Not being an X guy, I don't find the results that conclusive.  Going
> strictly by the code: it could be something that follows that causes the
> freeze based on the result of CheckVGA() returning TRUE.  But I trust
> your judgement. :)

Okay - thats fair.  Its possible that the lockup is happening later on.

I've tried two different ROMs: 1) LinuxBIOS without VGA, and 2) Insyde
with VGA.  Both performed as expected.  I haven't tested a General Software
yet, and I don't have a Thincan, so I can't try the Artec BIOS.

Basically, during autoconfigure, the difference between VGA and not is that
we go on to probe the DCC when VGA is there.  So your reasoning is correct -
either CheckVGA is where we are locking up, or, CheckVGA is returning TRUE
(which it should for General, and which it should not for Artec), and the
DDC probe is locking up.   Both senarios are depressing.

So uncomment out the CheckVGA function, and put some ErrorF lines at the
top and bottom, if checkVGA freezes, we should see you go in, but not come
back out.

if it makes it out of that (And useVGA is true), then we need to figure out
why DDC is broken.

Jordan