[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Dec 13 15:14:14 PST 2007

On 13/12/07 17:25 -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> (II) AMD(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 31.50-37.90 kHz

Here is your problem.  Without DDC, the default HSYNC range is way too
low (this range will only work for a few modes).

This the default that is provided for hw/xfree86/common/xf86Mode.c if
there are no monitor timings, which there won't be if GeodeDoDDC isn't
called, which it won't be if useVGA is FALSE or if CRT output isn't
enabled.

The reason why we bound it with pGeode->useVGA is because the DDC code
wants to use VGA registers (and it will lock hard when you don't have a
VGA ROM).  This is also the reason why we run the CheckVGA function
during the early init - so that we can avoid calling other VGAish functions
that get angry when the ROM isn't there.

End result?  X autoconfigure without a VGA ROM is not going to be very
effective.  Solution?  Not sure.  Thoughts?

Jordan