[Xorg-driver-geode] Geode LX video testing results

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Dec 13 13:12:52 PST 2007

On 13/12/07 14:53 -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I work for Gideon Romm, of Symbio Technologies, and I am continuing on
> this request from Martin-Éric Racine...
>
> > At this stage, as Jordan pointed out, it would really be useful to try
> > building the current 2.7.7.3 release with the patch attached to the
> > Ubuntu bug mentioned on the wiki and to report our results. The most
> > useful data is xorg.conf and Xorg.log content, plus the name and release
> > of the software distribution against which the package was built. These
> > info could go a long way towards helping everyone narrow down the source
> > of the problem and figuring out a fix.
>
> I am using ThinCan DBE61 running Ubuntu/Gutsy and X-core 1.3.0.
> I have tested using 2.7.7.0 and 2.7.7.3 xserver-xorg-video-amd releases
> from the debian and xorg git trees, and the Ubuntu Gutsy release.
> My findings do not differ between versions.
>
> Before I continue I should note that I've been getting (EE)'s...
>   (EE) LoadModule: Module ztv does not have a ztvModuleData data object.
>   (EE) Failed to load module "ztv" (invalid module, 0)
>
> Hence before running my tests I delete the following files...
>   /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ztv_drv.so
>   /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ztv_drv.so

Yes - ztv is pretty old.  Don't worry about the error message, they
shouldn't bother you unless you try to use the module.

>     -    useVGA = LXCheckVGA(pScrni);
>     +    useVGA = FALSE;

So this seems to pretty conclusively prove that the CheckVGA function is
acting up.  What that function tries to do is map the VGA space and
look for a VGA signature (which won't be there on LinuxBIOS implementations),
and then behaves accordingly.  Apparently its not working on some
BIOSes, but is working on others, which leads me to believe that this
might be a memory problem somewhere along the line.

>   5.b  using an existing xorg.conf runs in low-rez mode

I have asked nicely, and I now I won't be nearly as nice - I can't do
anything unless you send me a log.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse