[Xorg-driver-geode] New Mailing List (Was: Mailing List Suggestion)

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Dec 12 16:18:21 PST 2007

On 12/12/07 18:07 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> Might it be a good idea to create a new list, perhaps hosted at x.org or
> freedesktop.org?

Okay - Thanks to the X folks, we have a mailing list.  Everybody on
info-linux has been automatically subscribed, which is why you are getting
this email.

If you don't like that, please let me know or unsubscribe yourself here:

I apologize for the lack of infrastructure - believe me when I tell you
that a year ago, we didn't have a fraction of the interest or traffic that
we do today - the community grew, but we didn't, and for that I am sorry.

So, here we are now - where do we go from here?

Despite the growth over the last few months, we're still not a very big
community and resources are always at a premium.  Luckily, we enjoy a large
cross section of users, from the mainline distributions to embedded and
home grown solutions.  Such a wide variety also comes with a price - if
I concentrate on any one distribution or concept, I run the risk of
alienating everybody else.

So this is my policy (and it holds true for the kernel development too):  I
concentrate my efforts on delivering the best possible vanilla drivers that
I can.  Put simply, what you find in Linus's kernel or in the freedesktop.org
is (hopefully), the best code I can deliver at any given time.  I can't
make any promises that it will boot on Ubuntu or Fedora or OpenEmbedded,
because I quite frankly just don't have the resources to go off and build
and test them.

So I must lean on the package maintainers to work closely with me to help
resolve issues on individual distributions.  Right now, those maintainers
are Martin-Éric Racine for Debian, Bryce Harrington for Ubuntu and
several people for Fedora (Bernardo Innocenti and Warren Togami, I guess,
though I don't know who officially is the owner).

If your favorite distribution isn't mentioned here, then please, bother
the distribution to find somebody and get them subscribed and participating
here.

X development and distribution development moves at a very fast pace, and
such is the nature of the Geode community that we might miss entire
iterations of a project or distribution before somebody tries the package
to discover that it is broken.   This is why we need everybody to keep us
informed of problems as they occur.  Please register a bug with your
distribution, and CC this list as well as the maintainer.  Make sure to
follow correct bug reporting practices - especially important for us are
log files and configuration files - without those, we are running blind.

So, short story long, welcome to our new list, and lets hope we can turn
over a new leaf.  In that spirit, I am issuing a general call for bugs -
please respond to this e-mail with bug reports and log files and we'll
see if we can't smooth out some of the bugs in the road.

Thanks,
Jordan