Can someone else with a RAGE 128 based laptop test a patch named, "Fix for some RAGE 128 Pro causing out of range display error?"

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Sat Jul 14 03:33:09 UTC 2018

Hi,

While I have been cleaning up the cosmetics of xf86-video-r128 code, I finally posted the first patch that actually fixes a bug.
The patch is named, "Fix for some RAGE 128 Pro causing out of range display error."
Can someone who has a laptop containing RAGE Mobility 128, M3, or M4 test this patch?
Also, if someone can test the patch with Apple PowerMac version of RAGE 128, that will be highly appreciated.
The patch itself is a temporary fix for x86 platform.
I am planning to extensively rewrite xf86-video-r128 DDX's display output code down the road, but for now, I will like to put in a temporary fix so that certain RAGE 128 Pro models do not suffer from "out of rage" display error.
In particular, RAGE 128 Pro Ultra (model designation: TF) suffers from this issue, but I also encountered a PCI version of RAGE 128 Pro that suffers from this bug .
The current known workaround for this bug is to place xorg.conf inside /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/, and specify the supported frequency range of the connected monitor.
Furthermore, it causes the VGA to identified as DVI.
This patch will fix this issue.
I am hoping that the patch will work without causing regressions.
    In case you are not sure how to test the code, here is how you can compile the upstream r128 DDX code (assuming Ubuntu based OS is used).

sudo cp /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/r128_drv.so ("Anywhere appropriate to store a backup")
sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-video-r128
("sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-video-r128-hwe-16.04" for Ubuntu 16.04 with HWE)
mkdir ("Whatever appropriate name for a directory")
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-r128
cd xf86-video-r128
patch -p 1 < ("File name of the patch")
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr CFLAGS="-Wall"
('./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-dri CFLAGS="-Wall"' if you want DRI1 enabled)
make
sudo make install

If it did not work, you should be able to restore the r128 DDX this way.

sudo cp ("Location where the backup of r128_drv.so was stored")/r128_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

Let me know how the patch works.
If the patch works, I will like to release a new version of xf86-video-r128 soon.

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com