Video mode instability on Inspiron 6400 with and WSXGA+ display

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 6 00:50:25 UTC 2017

Boris Gjenero composed on 2017-04-05 17:42 (UTC-0400):

> My Dell Inspiron 6400 has a ATI x1400 video card and 1680x1050 WSXGA+
> display....

I suspect it's possible your observations may be characteristic of the whole
X1300-X1950 series of Radeon cards, at least with the FOSS Radeon driver. My
X1300 isn't as bad as you describe, but does produce an annoying and powerful
flicker by simply running the xrandr command. I simply haven't observed it
producing persisting corruption or instability. When I connect it to a CRT
instead of a 1680x1050 LCD, any mode switch produces a loud snap from the CRT
that accompanies no other gfxchip's mode switches.

I've been looking on dell.com for an XP driver for X1300, but no luck in finding
one.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/