FireMV 2250 thermal sensor data

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:52:20 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Basker P <basker1p at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Does ATI FireMV 2250 card driver support reporting thermal sensor data
> via hwmon? Is there any other way I can get the temperature fan information?
> I'm also interested in looking at the code that reads this information
> and how it
> provides to lm_sensor.
>
> I downloaded xf86-video-ati-7.5.0 code and looked for any sensor
> reading code but found none. Also checked in XFree86 code also. Also
> checked for temperature
> sensor reading code in linux-3.19-rc7/drivers/video/fbdev and found none for
> ati radeon firemv 2250

Those asics did not have an internal thermal sensor on the chip so if
the board has one, it would be an external 3rd party i2c chip, most
likely an lm64.  The radeon kernel driver will attempt to load the
appropriate i2c driver if the vbios power table lists an attached i2c
thermal chip.  See radeon_atombios_parse_power_table_1_3() in
radeon_atombios.c in the radeon kernel driver
(drivers/gpu/drm/radeon).

Alex