High CPU usage with radeon driver.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 20 15:49:39 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:12:20AM +0900, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 20.01.2015 10:46, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >  Anyway, I'd rather have a lower power usage, or more CPU devoted to
> > what I want to run, but it would be _nice_ to have the correct
> > driver using less CPU ;)  Any suggestions, please ?
>
> Depending on what you're doing, using glamor instead of EXA might make a
> difference.
>
> Other than that, it's hard to say much without seeing profiles from
> sysprof / perf / oprofile corresponding to specific activities.

 Thanks for the reply, Michel.  I've spent most of today's computing
time trying to work out what was causing the llvm problem with sw
rasterization - turned out that this build of Mesa-10.2.whichever
did not have some fixes for llvm-3.5.  Now, I've tried Glamor - on
the plus side, no 'red' in icewm's CPU window.  But on the negative,
Xorg.bin CPU% remained at around 52% - not the initial high value,
but not dropping down later, CPU frequencies remained quite
high / full power, and alt-tabbing between windows, or autorepeat on
e.g. cursor when typing, was very slow.

 I'll see if I can get any useful profile information, but if not,
thanks anyway.

ĸen