Radeon HD 6530D crashing Xorg with a CentOS 6.6 kernel

Darby Vicker darby.vicker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:03:32 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Darby Vicker <darby.vicker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

>>> I should be more specific about the problem.  The problem occurs at
>>> the point where the boot splash screen transitions to when (I assume)
>>> X starts and the login screen comes up.  When I boot the CentOS 6.6
>>> kernel, the screen just goes black and shortly after that the monitor
>>> goes to sleep with a "No signal" message.  The virtual terminals (e.g.
>>> cntl-alt-F2) don't work at that point either.  I was assuming that
>>> since the Xorg ABI has changed between the CentOS 6.5 and 6.6 release,
>>> it was very likely that the problem was related to Xorg.
>>
>> If there was a Xorg ABI issue, you could see in the Xorg log file that
>> the driver fails to load.
>>

>>> Do you have any suggestions for isolating the problem?  I'm not sure what else to
>>> try.  I did also try a boot to single user mode with the 6.6 kernel
>>> and then did a "startx".  My thought was to try to start X with
>>> minimal other services started to see if something else was
>>> interfering with X.  But the same thing happens - the screen goes
>>> blank and the monitor goes to sleep.  Any other suggestions are
>>> welcomed.
>>
>> If you boot the 6.5 kernel, does it still work with the same userspace
>> that shows the problem with the 6.6 kernel? If so, it sounds like
>> there's just some regression in the 6.6 kernel. Maybe there's something
>> in dmesg, or maybe you can try isolating the change between the 6.5 and
>> 6.6 kernels which caused the regression.
>>

>> --
>> Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               http://www.amd.com
>> Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer
>
> dmesg output attached for both.  These are the differences that stand out to me:
>

> 1) Its allocating a different amount of memory.
>
> 1005c974
> < radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 512M 0x0000000020000000 - 0x000000003FFFFFFF
> ---
>> radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 1024M 0x0000000020000000 - 0x000000005FFFFFFF
>

> 2) different driver version
>
> 1060,1062c1040,1042
> < [drm] Initialized radeon 2.30.0 20080528 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0
> ---
>> [drm] Initialized radeon 2.37.0 20080528 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0
>

> I'd be interested in your take on this though.

I was able to verify that this messages appears in :0-greeter.log for
a failed GUI start up (i.e. CentOS 6.6 boot) and doesn't appear in a
6.5 boot:

gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
unavailable) on X server :0.

Do you know if there is a way to bypass gdm to see if that is the
problem?  For example, is there an alternative to GDM or some way to
try to start the X-session directly?