Radeon HD 6530D crashing Xorg with a CentOS 6.6 kernel

Darby Vicker darby.vicker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:37:00 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On 24.12.2014 22:26, Darby Vicker wrote:

>>> I can't see any graphics driver related problem in
>>> Xorg.0.log.centos6.6.stock.gz; the X server seems to start up and shut
>>> down cleanly.
>>>
>>> Why do you think the graphics drivers crash? Maybe the problem is on the
>>> client side, e.g. related to gdm or the login manager you're using.
>>
>> I should be more specific about the problem.  The problem occurs at
>> the point where the boot splash screen transitions to when (I assume)
>> X starts and the login screen comes up.  When I boot the CentOS 6.6
>> kernel, the screen just goes black and shortly after that the monitor
>> goes to sleep with a "No signal" message.  The virtual terminals (e.g.
>> cntl-alt-F2) don't work at that point either.  I was assuming that
>> since the Xorg ABI has changed between the CentOS 6.5 and 6.6 release,
>> it was very likely that the problem was related to Xorg.
>
> If there was a Xorg ABI issue, you could see in the Xorg log file that
> the driver fails to load.
>

>> Do you have any suggestions for isolating the problem?  I'm not sure what else to
>> try.  I did also try a boot to single user mode with the 6.6 kernel
>> and then did a "startx".  My thought was to try to start X with
>> minimal other services started to see if something else was
>> interfering with X.  But the same thing happens - the screen goes
>> blank and the monitor goes to sleep.  Any other suggestions are
>> welcomed.
>
> If you boot the 6.5 kernel, does it still work with the same userspace
> that shows the problem with the 6.6 kernel? If so, it sounds like
> there's just some regression in the 6.6 kernel. Maybe there's something
> in dmesg, or maybe you can try isolating the change between the 6.5 and
> 6.6 kernels which caused the regression.
>

> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               http://www.amd.com
> Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer

Yes, everything else is the same - I'm just changing the kernel I'm booting.

Your comment about gdm got me looking at the it's logs.  I've attached
all the greeter logs that were in /var/log/gdm.  In particular, the
last two lines of the log.4 looks bad.  Those logs are a mix of the
6.5 and 6.6 kernels but I'm not sure which is which.  I'll capture
dmesg output from both the 6.5 and 6.6 boots and see if I can find
anything useful.