Colorspace adjustment

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:09:40 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM, David Harks <dave at dwink.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> In the proprietary driver, it’s possible to set the colorspace used for
> output, with 4 possible options on my hardware: YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 2:2:2,
> RGB Limited, and RGB Full. For a system I’m working on, we have been using
> the YCbCr 4:4:4 color space for compatibility reasons with some of the
> devices we output to, and I’d like to get the same feature going on the
> radeon driver.
>
> From what I’ve read
> (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2014-March/056478.html), this
> feature isn’t yet part of the radeon driver, but since it seems to be a
> register setting it may be possible to add. So I took a look at the code in
> dce5_crtc_load_lut() and modified it to use NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_709,
> compiled, and tried it.
>
> It didn’t seem to change the output at all.
>
> So I grabbed a copy of radeontool, and tried to see if I could inspect the
> registers to see if my changes were taking effect, but I think I’m missing
> something because the values I get don’t seem to be what I’d expect:
>
>  avivotool regmatch 0x68f0 # NI_OUTPUT_CSC_CONTROL +
> radeon_crtc->crtc_offset
> 0x68f0 0x01000020 (16777248)
>
> I would expect the output to be something with 0x33, since
> (NI_OUTPUT_CSC_GRPH_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_709) |
> NI_OUTPUT_CSC_OVL_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_709)) should be 0x33.
>
> Is there some other register I might need to touch in order to make these
> changes take effect? Any pointers to what else I should be looking for?

What asic are you using?  Note that register bar moved on Sea Islands
and newer asics and I'm not sure if the version of avivotool you are
using handles that correctly yet.  Also note that these registers are
instanced (hence the radeon_crtc->crtc_offset being added to the
register offset), so make sure you are reading the appropriate
instance for the display controller you are using.