How to softmod Ati Radeon 9500 (R300)?

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Tue May 13 12:34:12 PDT 2014

On 11/05/14 12:00 PM, TripleShiftOne wrote:
> Hallo,
> i want to override the DeviceID of an Ati Radeon 9500 (R300) to get one
> more quadpipe (Softmod). For this the chip has to be forced to be
> identified as 0x4e45 (instead of 0x4144).
>
> I added 'ChipID 0x4e45' into 'Section "Device"' that doesn't have any
> effect. The 'Xorg.0.log' still shows 0x4144 ChipID.
>
> On MS-Windows i patch the driver on binary level by swapping the IDs
> that works flawlessly. I also tried that on Linux 'radeon_drv.so' but it
> doesn't have any effect. Performance is tested with 'glxgears' resulting
> in ~2600fps always. It should raise significantly if working properly.
>
> Any idea how to do this?
Whatever Catalyst feature you are enabling, it isn't in radeon_drv.so.
Those two chipsets (R300_AD and R300_NE) are treated identically by the
pcidb
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/tree/src/pcidb/ati_pciids.csv.
Check the kernel and mesa drivers to see if they have any code that gets
executed for one but not the other.