x11/xcalib not working on radeondrm(4) ?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Feb 26 22:40:56 PST 2014

On Mit, 2014-02-26 at 22:40 +0100, Alexis de BRUYN wrote:
> On 26.02.2014 05:02, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 15:39 +0100, Alexis de BRUYN wrote:
> >>
> >> $ pkg_info | grep xcalib
> >> xcalib-0.8          tiny monitor calibration loader for XFree86 or X.org
> >>
> >> It seems to have no effect with radeondrm(4), although it is working
> >> fine with inteldrm(4) (tested with the same motherboard). Kernel,
> >> userland and Xenocara were rebuilt yesterday after fetching -current.
> >>
> >> Xcalib doesn't return any error messages (with -verbose option too).
> >>
> >> Is it a driver limitation/issue? Radeon Hardware not fully supported (yet)?
> >
> > AFAICT xcalib uses the XFree86-VidModeExtension extension, so it can
> > currently only affect one output of an RandR 1.2 capable driver. Try
> > something like xrandr --output <...> --gamma which uses the RandR 1.2
> > extension.
> Thanks for your answer Alex.
>
> Yes xrandr is working fine, I can adjust brightness and gamma. But I
> cannot invert the colors (and don't know how to that with xrandr).

I guess xrandr can't do that, you'd need a different tool which supports
RandR 1.2.

FWIW, if you set one of your connected outputs as the primary with

 xrandr --output DisplayPort-[123] --primary

xcalib should work for that output I think. Not sure if its settings
will be preserved when switching the primary output though.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer