Radeon HD 6530D crashing Xorg with a CentOS 6.6 kernel

Darby Vicker darby.vicker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:26:45 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> On 24.12.2014 14:18, Darby Vicker wrote:

>>> Please attach the *.stock log files.
>>
>> Sure - attached.
>
> I can't see any graphics driver related problem in
> Xorg.0.log.centos6.6.stock.gz; the X server seems to start up and shut
> down cleanly.
>
> Why do you think the graphics drivers crash? Maybe the problem is on the
> client side, e.g. related to gdm or the login manager you're using.
>

> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               http://www.amd.com
> Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer

I should be more specific about the problem.  The problem occurs at
the point where the boot splash screen transitions to when (I assume)
X starts and the login screen comes up.  When I boot the CentOS 6.6
kernel, the screen just goes black and shortly after that the monitor
goes to sleep with a "No signal" message.  The virtual terminals (e.g.
cntl-alt-F2) don't work at that point either.  I was assuming that
since the Xorg ABI has changed between the CentOS 6.5 and 6.6 release,
it was very likely that the problem was related to Xorg.  Do you have
any suggestions for isolating the problem?  I'm not sure what else to
try.  I did also try a boot to single user mode with the 6.6 kernel
and then did a "startx".  My thought was to try to start X with
minimal other services started to see if something else was
interfering with X.  But the same thing happens - the screen goes
blank and the monitor goes to sleep.  Any other suggestions are
welcomed.