displayport detects monitoring, but monitor goes into power saving

Glen Ogilvie nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz
Tue Aug 5 01:56:12 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've got a problem, that I'd like a little help with getting to the bottom
of... so looking for a little advise.

I can't get my laptop's displayport output to drive my monitor, using the
free ati driver.  It does work on the legacy driver, from ATI, however,
that only works on X <= 1.12, which is no fun to be stuck with, as no
current distro ships old versions of X.  I have a 27 inch dell monitor, so
using HDMI is not great option, as it can't drive a high enough resolution
to look sharp, as I want 2560 x 1440.

I think Bug 45291 is basically the same problem, and I've updated it to
include my hardware as well.

I am looking for some advise, as to what I can do to help the smart
graphics driver developers here get to the bottom of this.. as it's
becoming a pain for me to live with a 4 year old Distro, or have to replace
my laptop, which is otherwise working great for me.

I've tried kernel 3.15.6, which is a great improvement, as the power
management seems to work, so the GPU fan's don't run full speed the whole
time, but still have the issues with displayport.

So, I assume to help, I could provide xorg logs, dmesg, lspci, dmidecode..
but what else.. in all of these, no where can I see any errors, as the
monitor is detected.. just no output.   Trying the same monitor with hdmi,
works, but the resolution is limited, as HDMI can't drive resolutions above
1920x1200 as far as I know.

I am technical, with around 15 years Linux experience, and program in a
number of languages, but am no expert when it comes to C/C++.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie