Workaround for a bug in xrandr

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Sat Apr 26 10:48:26 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

today I noticed that with X server 1.15.1 and current xf86-video-ati
master that page flipping won't work any more after I switched the mode
using xrandr. It looks like Ilija Hadzic already stumbled over the same
issue back in 2012 but didn't reported it upstream (at least I couldn't
find any reference to it):
https://github.com/ihadzic/vcrtcm-doc/blob/master/patches/X_1_12/0001-xf86-crtc-HACK-do-not-touch-DPMS-in-xf86DisableUnuse.patch

Basic problem is that xrandr calls xf86DisableUnusedFunctions while
switching the mode which in turn calls the DPMS off function which is
then never turned on again. This results in both page flipping getting
disabled and vblank handling not working any more.

Attached is a workaround for xf86-video-ati which just turn DPMS on
again when the mode set happens, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't the
right solution to the problem.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Christian.