HIS Radeon HD 6870 configuration in Debian wheezy

Piotr Winter piotrw82 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 07:08:16 PDT 2013

I see

I noticed my GPU fan is too loud (compared to Windows 7) when system is
idle (no aplications running, just XFCE desktop with no eyecandy).
I did smoe research and found this article, interesting stuff:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_dpm_preview&num=1
BTW, I see you are mentioned as the author of DPM in linux 3.11 kernel :)
so maybe you can help.
First, will it help reduce the fan speed when idle?
If yes, is there a way to integrate DPM to older kernel, or need I
recompile the kernel to 3.11 to enable DPM. Debian wheezy is using 3.2.0
kernel, and the next release will be using 3.10, according to documentation
I tried recompiling to 3.11 using this manual:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/09/installupgrade-to-linux-kernel-311.html (first
I had to upgrade libc6 to newer version, I upgraded it to 2.17, from the
debian 'testing' repository)
but still i'm getting compilation errors (from gcc), mayby newer gcc is
required then one present in my system, I didn't investigate the error much.
Still, I don't know if it is a good idea to upgrade kernel to latest stable
in Debian.

Piotr