Problems with multiple monitors in Ubuntu 13.04

Carl Perry caperry at edolnx.net
Sat May 11 10:48:26 PDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 06:13 AM, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> This

>> axis)

>> http://edolnx-public.objects.dreamhost.com/Screenshot%20-%2005072013%20-%2009_10_02%20AM.png
>>> You probably need to setup an xorg.conf like you always have before
>>> for dual-card setups like that.
>>>
>>> It might be possible to make it work better if you plug two monitors
>>> into the first card and one into second,
>>> you'll be using GPU offload, so the second GPU won't be doing anything
>>> more than displaying what the first
>>> is showing.
>>>
>>> Dave.
>> I've tried creating a basic config for multiple monitors, and now X crashes
>> on startup.
>> The config: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5646972/
>> The log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5646975/
>>
>> I thought it may be GLX, so I tried disabling that but got the same error.
>> I also tried two displays
>> on the primary card. That created output on two displays, but using xrandr
>> still caused a crash of X.
>> The monitor on the second card still had no output.
>>
>> Any other thoughts?  I've tried ATI and nVidia cards, and both yield
>> similar results. I realize this is
>> the ati driver list, but it may be an interesting data point.
> You need to use the ZaphodHeads option in each device section to
> assign which connector(s) you want to use with each instance of the
> driver.
>
> Alex
I've tried with the ZaphodHeads option, same result: X crashes on startup.
Logs: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5655332/
Config: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5655333/

If I put in the wrong information in the ZaphodHeads option, then only
the primary display works. The other two say in powersave mode. Any
other ideas?

  -Carl