xorg-driver-ati Digest, Vol 78, Issue 31

James Cobban webmaster at Jamescobban.net
Fri Feb 22 20:41:40 PST 2013

On 13-02-22 03:52 PM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM, James Cobban <webmaster at jamescobban.net> wrote:
>> Please I STILL need to know what command to issue to the Xorg driver to turn
>> on the light on my laptop when I open the lid!  If the answer is RTFM, then
>> tell me where the FM is!
> There is no command.  The driver should take care of it.  If it's not
> working, you'll need to file a bug:
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org
> However to properly debug we'll need to know if you tried any of the
> suggestions from my previous email and whether any of them helped.
>
> Alex
It is frustrating for you to repeat about how "The driver should take
care of it."  When the driver is NOT taking care of it.

It does not make sense that it is a bug.  The driver correctly opens the
display on a reboot.  The only time it doesn't is on opening the lid.
But the driver has to be TOLD the lid has opened, and there is nothing
in the lid.sh script that is doing that.  Certainly the proprietary
driver has to be told.  The Xorg driver is behaving EXACTLY like the
proprietary driver does if you don't run the aticonfig script to update
the lid.sh script and add the command to TELL the driver to turn the
light on.  Furthermore if it was a bug surely I would not be the only
person in the world who is encountering this problem.

I already told you that trying to set the brightness did nothing. The
problem is not the brightness it is that the flourescent light bulb that
illuminates the LCDs is not being turned on!

This is a pain because every time it happens I have to reconfigure my
system back to the proprietary driver before I can get any work done,
including posting to this mailing list, to ask what to do next.

Switching drivers is non-trivial.  I do not want to switch back to the
Xorg driver until I have something concrete that I can do because not
being able to close the lid of my laptop is a show stopper.

Jim Cobban webmaster at jamescobban.net
<mailto:webmaster at jamescobban.net?subject=Email%20Message>
Web-site: www.jamescobban.net <http://www.jamescobban.net/>
34 Palomino Dr.