Q: 'MacModel' replacement for radeon driver?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Feb 14 00:41:47 PST 2013

On Mit, 2013-02-13 at 21:07 +0100, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 13.02.13 19:01 schrieb(en) Alex Deucher:
> past. I've recently seen reports from others of r1xx cards working ok
> at least on x86.
> >>
> >> I have an rv270 on an mac mini here and that thing used to work
> with kms. Been a while though since I've last fired it up ... So going
> back and trying to bisect could be really useful.
> >
> > If you could that would be great.
>
> The intermediate status:  I installed Debian Squeeze on an extra disk,
> and there the radeon driver works when I add the 'Option "MacModel"
> "mini-internal"' to xorg.conf.  Not a big surprise, as Linux 2.6.32 is
> rather old.  I also included 'radeon.modeset=1' in the Kernel command
> line.  dmesg says '[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled', but
> Xorg.0.log warns '[KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.'.

That means the X driver is running in UMS mode and programming the
hardware directly behind the kernel driver's back, so this is not a
valid test for KMS working. Make sure the radeon kernel module is loaded
before X starts.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com