Possible radeon-related kernel memory leak

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Feb 11 04:00:41 PST 2013

On Son, 2013-02-10 at 15:01 +0100, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Friday 08 of February 2013 17:43:17 Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > I suspect the memory is used for TTM buffer objects, e.g. for X server
> > pixmaps.
>
> xrestop lists around 200MiB of pixmaps, I don't know if they are included in
> the X process or originating process resident set size, but even if they
> aren't (and are included only in "kernel dynamic memory"), it's still not
> the 800MiB difference I see. They don't grow over time.

Unfortunately, xrestop doesn't always show everything either. See e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/695757 for a similar problem.

> > > Even if I turn off all applications and restart kwin, it's still at 1G.
> >
> > xlsclients only lists kwin at that point, no other clients?
>
> no, there's still the plasma desktop, krunner, probably something else...

Have you tried killing those?

> > Note that X11 allows clients to create pixmaps in such a way that they
> > aren't automatically destroyed even if the client dies. This can be used
> > e.g. for desktop backgrounds or for caching pixmaps between processes.
>
> Will they still be visible in xrestop if the parent process dies?

I'm not sure such pixmaps are visible in xrestop in the first place.

> Do you think it's not related to the errors I get sometimes while running
> games?
>
> radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg for more information
>
> with the following error in dmesg (full kernel stack trace in first mail in
> thread):
>
> [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] ERROR Failed to parse relocation -12
>
> Can't this cause leaks of kernel memory that are freed only on full X re-
> initialisation?

These errors are symptoms of running out of kernel memory, probably not the
cause of it.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com