Suspend/Resumes fails early with r600(RV710) in "unpin not necessary"

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Mar 20 02:06:32 PDT 2012

On Die, 2012-03-20 at 02:29 +0100, Manuel Krause wrote:

> >> Does radeon.agpmode=-1 help at all?
> >
> > As this may reduce agp rate I don't like to try it. ;-)
> > I'll come back on that later.
>
> I set that on kernel command line at first and removed "options
> radeon agpmode=4" from my /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf.
>
> That went well for the first resume cycle. The second resume just
> shortly after the first failed without any possibility to record
> anything like logs (VT switching impossible, hard lock).
>
> Then I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf setting the # in front of:
> #	Option		"BusType"		"AGP"
> #	Option		"AGPMode"		"4"
>
> That now worked for 4 subsequent hibernate/resume cycles [...]

These options have no effect with KMS (you can verify that in the
Xorg.0.log file), the failure after the second resume was probably a
different problem or just a fluke.

> I can't see any performance impact.
>
> Any clues?

Looks like it boils down to 'AGP sucks'. Moreover, VIA AGP bridges were
kind of infamous for instability. As PCIe mode seems to work well for
you, it's probably best to leave it at that.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com