The driver is very slow with Kicad

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:42:21 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, lucck <lucck at ep.com.pl> wrote:
> I also have the same issue. I detected, that it is related to the Xorg config
> option: EXAPixmaps. When I set the following section in the Xorg:
>
> Option  "EXAPixmaps"            "off"
>
> Kicad start seems to be working ok. Why enabling this option slow down the Kicad?

Most likely Kicad is doing something that is not accelerated by the
driver, so data has to be migrated to/from vram and synchronized with
the GPU in order for the CPU to complete the operation.  Turning off
EXAPixmaps means pixmaps are not stored in GPU accessible memory and
thus are not accelerated by the GPU.  However, for non-accelerated
operations there is less overhead since the data does not need to be
migrated into CPU memory.

Alex