Feature: Modifying power states using sysfs

Andrée 'Glaucous' glakke1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:46:06 PST 2012

Hello!

It would be great to be able to modify power states during runtime,
especially for cards (such as mine) that have BIOS power states that are
way too high.
The easiest way would be to support it in sysfs, something like this:

/sys/class/drm/card0/device:
--> power-states/
----> states
----> state0/
------> modes
------> clock-mode0/
--------> engine
--------> memory
--------> voltage

I have a working patch that changes ALL power states at the same time (for
testing purposes, but could be extended to modify each state individually
like above).
What I'm wondering is if this is a feature you'd be interested in, or if
it's too user unfriendly (since you can brick/damage your card, in worst
cases)?