Bug#648222: Significant 2D performance regression with ColorTiling
ranma at tdiedrich.de
Mon Feb 20 17:10:04 PST 2012
Wow, I can only second this.
I've been wondering what part of the last upgrade made my desktop so
glacially slow and finally found that flipping the ColorTiling
option to false makes a big difference.
Everything feels at least an order of magnitude faster now.
With ColorTiling enabled I had problems like:
- Laggy window movements in fluxbox
- Can see the chrome titlebar redraw
- full-screen xterm takes about a second to render when switching desktops
With ColorTiling disabled everything is back to normal:
- Window movement can always keep up with my mouse
- No more annoying chrome titlebar flicker
- xterm redraws in a split-second
To illustrate this:
Moving a window in fluxbox: http://youtu.be/e__5dKZobxA
xterm redraw/scroll speed: http://youtu.be/zx7K5213R7o
Moving a window in fluxbox:http://youtu.be/FSiQ34OHDbA
xterm redraw/scroll speed: http://youtu.be/li9CTseCUqU
Tobias PGP: http://8ef7ddba.uguu.de
More information about the xorg-driver-ati