Stuttering / Frame drops with RS880/785G and AMD Bulldozer CPU

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Feb 9 03:14:55 PST 2012

On Don, 2012-02-09 at 02:03 +0200, Shahar Or wrote:

> Since replacing an AMD Sempron 140 with an AMD FX-4100 CPU in my
> system

Literally only replacing the CPU in the socket, nothing else changed?

> I'm experiencing frame drops in practically anything. They seem
> to be CPU activity related and they are very frequent.

What exactly does 'seem to be CPU activity related' mean? If it means
the frame drops coincide with high CPU usage, a CPU profile from perf,
sysprof or oprofile corresponding to a frame drop could be interesting.

> Please let me know if you think that this could be radeon driver
> related or something else because I really don't know where to
> start... I even looked at the AMD cache penalties bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/862583
> But it shouldn't make such a big noticeable problem, right?

That indeed seems unlikely, but you could always try
applying/disabling/reverting the patch(es) just in case.

> The BIOS is latest version.

Does it have proper support for the new CPU?

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com