Q: 'MacModel' replacement for radeon driver?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Fri Dec 21 07:17:38 PST 2012

Hi Alex!

Am 20.12.12 22:42 schrieb(en) Alex Deucher:
> Apple cards have a proprietary rom without that information so we need to hard code it in the driver.

I see.  And OS X relies on that, so it doesn't work with standard cards... bad!

> It would be great if you could test both connectors to make sure I got the ddc lines mapped correctly (make sure you can get an edid from the monitor).

I tested only with the ADC first; I'll have to find a device with a vga input...

> I've included several options in the patch for each connector, e.g.,
> +               /* DVI-I - tv dac, int tmds */
> +               ddc_i2c = combios_setup_i2c_bus(rdev, DDC_CRT2, 0, 0);

Does not read any edid data, and ejects with 'Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration'.  The tft is disabled (put to sleep mode), as the failsafe config cannot open the fb device (disabled in the kernel).

> +               //ddc_i2c = combios_setup_i2c_bus(rdev, DDC_DVI, 0, 0);

Here edid data is read, the log says all is perfect (I think), and the tft is activated, but apparently the output signal is not applied.  I.e. I again see the shades/lines/pixels...

> +               //ddc_i2c = combios_setup_i2c_bus(rdev, DDC_VGA, 0, 0);
> +               //ddc_i2c = combios_setup_i2c_bus(rdev, DDC_MONID, 0, 0);

These two behave exactly like DDC_CRT2.

I attach the dmesg output and the X logs for all four cases.

Thanks again,
Albrecht.