Q: 'MacModel' replacement for radeon driver?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:44:32 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at arcor.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 12.10 which comes with the radeon driver package
> '6.99.99~git201209':
>
> ----8<--------------------------------------------------
> root at antares:~# dpkg -l 'xserver-xorg-video-*'
> [snip]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon  1:6.99.99~git201209  powerpc  X.Org X server
> -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
> ----8<--------------------------------------------------
>
> My box is a PowerMac G4/800 "Silver", equipped with a Radeon 7500 AGP card
> manufactured for Apple, as it has a ADC connector [1] and a DE-15 VGA
> output.  BTW, the kernel reports a *third* S-Video connector which is
> actually not present:
>
> ----8<--------------------------------------------------
> [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
> [drm] Connector 0:
> [drm]   DVI-I-1
> [drm]   HPD1
> [drm]   DDC: 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64
> [drm]   Encoders:
> [drm]     DFP1: INTERNAL_TMDS1
> [drm]     CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC2
> [drm] Connector 1:
> [drm]   VGA-1
> [drm]   DDC: 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60
> [drm]   Encoders:
> [drm]     CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
> [drm] Connector 2:
> [drm]   SVIDEO-1
> [drm]   Encoders:
> [drm]     TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
> ----8<--------------------------------------------------
>
> I use a digital Formac TFT, i.e. the kernel connector would be (I think) the
> 'DFP1' channel of 'DVI-I-1'.
>
> Starting with Ubuntu 9.10 (radeon driver 6.12.99), I had to use the Device
> option 'Option "MacModel" "mini-internal"'.  Otherwise, the display showed
> only single pixels, sometimes a blue vertical line, and a greenish shade in
> some regions.  This was apparently caused by an incorrect connector table
> (i.e. the video signal applied to the wrong output connector), and fixed by
> this option.  However, version 6.99.99 just ignores it (according to the
> log), and I only get the pixels/line/shades again.  Any idea how I could fix
> this with this driver?

With KMS the display setup is handled by the kernel now, so the
MacModel option has been replaced with a kernel module parameter.

Specify radeon.connector_table=x where x =

enum radeon_connector_table {
        CT_NONE = 0,
        CT_GENERIC,
        CT_IBOOK,
        CT_POWERBOOK_EXTERNAL,
        CT_POWERBOOK_INTERNAL,
        CT_POWERBOOK_VGA,
        CT_MINI_EXTERNAL,
        CT_MINI_INTERNAL,
        CT_IMAC_G5_ISIGHT,
        CT_EMAC,
        CT_RN50_POWER,
        CT_MAC_X800,
	CT_MAC_G5_9600,
        CT_SAM440EP
};

However, it would be better to add a proper table for your specific
model so that you won't have to force some table.  Please send me the
output of lspci -vnn and the output of /proc/cpuinfo and I can prepare
a patch for you to try.

Alex