Problems with two ATI cards, in recent X versions

Theodore Kilgore kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Mon Aug 27 10:40:43 PDT 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Fre, 2012-08-24 at 13:19 -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

> > > That's rather unlikely, as the video driver doesn't deal directly with
> > > mouse input at all but just sets the display viewport as requested by
> > > the X server.
> > >
> > > It sounds like this problem could be fixed by this xserver patch:
> > > http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/11524/
> >
> > The two machines are, respectively, at home and at the office. The one at
> > home is the one on which this needs to be tested. Right now I am at work,
> > sitting in front of the other machine.
> >
> > I can certainly try the above-mentioned patch. Where am I supposed to get
> > the code which is to be patched, though? Should I use recent
> > distro-distributed code, or should I use code from a repository somewhere?
> > Please let me know. Also, assuming that this patch works, is this patch
> > something which is "coming soon"?
>
> It's included in the xserver 1.13 release candidates. You can test it
> with one of those or xserver Git
> (git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver). Otherwise you may need
> some preceding patches as well.

I found this git tree over the weekend. What I found is that in order to
run the autoconf scripts there were a couple of other dependencies,
which appeared to be quite minor, so I installed them. I am back at work
right now, and I cannot remember exactly what they were. Mainly 2 or three
items with "proto" in their names.

Then I was able to compile something and install it. The X server however
would not work. It complained that the ati driver has a different version
number from the xserver so it could not be used. So then I found the git
source for the ati driver and compiled it, too. Then things still did not
work.

What I am missing is some kind of roadmap through the dependencies, here.
To me as something of an outsider to X development, the whole thing seems
to be a godawful maze of hidden dependencies, and one does not know how to
proceed through it to get from one side to the other. Sorry to say that,
but I am an outsider to X development, as I said, and that is my
instinctive reaction. Perhaps you can give some advice about how to go
about this?

To the above, I should add that I am not exactly a stranger to writing
code. I have contributed actively to Gphoto and to the gspca webcam driver
tree in the kernel. So I do not have any phobias about this. But I did
spend most of the day yesterday trying to make this thing work, and I did
not succeed. So clearly there is something that I am missing. As i said,
what I seem to need is a roadmap about how to get through the maze. It
seems that the sequential order of compiling and installing things is
crucial here, and as far as I know nobody has gone to the trouble to
document that.

Theodore Kilgore