Resetting a mobility M7 7500

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Nov 9 05:26:20 PST 2011

>> My (old!) laptop stopped displaying anything tonight.
>>
>> The bios displays (including the bios passwd display, setup, grub menu,
>> etc) all are blank on both the lcd and vga.

MD> Did those show up on VGA before?

Presumably, but it has never been connected to an external monitor
before....

There is a CRT/LCD Fn key, but that didn't do anything noticeable, given
the lack of display.

MD> I don't think there's anything to reset on the GPU itself. It sounds
MD> like either one of your BIOS images got corrupted, or something related
MD> to the LVDS panel physically broke.

[SIGH].  Re-flashing will be a pain w/o a display....

MD> Please provide dmesg and Xorg.0.log.

forthcoming....

>> PS  Should the M7 be able to read the EDID across VGA?

MD> Generally yes.

Either w/ or w/o a vga monitor dmesg shows:

       DDC: 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60

-JimC