Cannot get radeon hd4290 working with KMS

A. Bischof a.bischof at gmx.net
Tue Mar 29 01:34:03 PDT 2011

Hi Michel,

Am 29.03.2011 09:28, schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On Die, 2011-03-29 at 08:53 +0200, A. Bischof wrote:
>>
>> [dri] This chipset requires a kernel module version of 1.17.0,
>> [dri] but the kernel reports a version of 2.8.0.[dri] If using legacy
>> modesetting, upgrade your kernel.
>> [dri] If using kernel modesetting, make sure your module is
>> [dri] loaded prior to starting X, [...]
>
> I think this is the crucial piece of advice. It looks like the radeon
> kernel module is getting loaded too late for the X driver to notice that
> KMS is enabled.

thanks for your quick answer. I thought so too, but loading the module
via /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf should be early enough - but even if
I load it via grub, which I tried, this message remains.

# cat /etc/default/grub
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="radeon.modeset=1"

I did update-grub2 afterwards.

Cheers

P.S.:
You can answer to the list, I read it ;-)