How to set underscan factor

Daniel Klaffenbach danielklaffenbach at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 06:02:05 PST 2011

Hi,

I have connected my TV via HDMI to my Radeon HD 3870. I am running the latest
git versions of Linux 2.6 (with KMS), mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-ati.

Right now the image is either too small for the TV (black area around the
image, underscan=on), or the image is too large for the TV (window decoration
etc. missing, underscan=off).

For the reference, this is what I am talking about:

Image with underscan off: http://goo.gl/o8lP4
Image with underscan on: http://goo.gl/BuBVO

I experimented with the "underscan" parameter using xrandr, but there only
seems to be "on" and "off". Is there any way to scale the image so it fits to
the screen? The AMD Catalyst Control Center has a slider for this which works
well, but I cannot find a corresponding option (underscan/scaling factor) for
the OSS driver.

A while ago this was all working correctly (I needed to turn underscan off and
the image would fit perfectly to the screen).

Regards,
Daniel