Radeon RV710 TV out not working

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 09:23:27 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Satz Klauer <satzklauer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Fedora 13s radeon driver together with a Radeon HD 4350 that has a
> TV-out connector which is connected to a PAL TV set. Within my xorg.conf I
> have set the following additional options but I do not get a real PAL signal
> with PAL resolution out of the card:
> Option "VGAAccess" "FALSE"
> Option "TVDACLoadDetect" "TRUE"
> Option "ForceTVOut" "TRUE"
> Option "TVStandard" "pal"
> Option "DefaultTVDACAdj" "TRUE"
> Option "ATOMTVOut" "TRUE"
>
> Unfortunately the Xorg.log tells me that most these options are not used:
> [ 1654.824] (WW) RADEON(0): Color tiling is not yet supported on R600/R700
> [ 1654.925] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "VGAAccess" is not used
> [ 1654.925] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "TVDACLoadDetect" is not used
> [ 1654.925] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceTVOut" is not used
> [ 1654.925] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DefaultTVDACAdj" is not used
> [ 1654.925] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ATOMTVOut" is not used
>
> And what I get out of the TV connector does not seem to be a real PAL
> signal:
> - I can't use the correct resolution of 720x576, the X-server starts with
> 1024x768 when I set this resolution in section "Screen"
> - I don't get a real overscan picture, when I use a resolution of 800x600
> (which is not really PAL) most parts of this screen are visible, overscan
> does not work
> - I have a small but ugly black strip on bottom of my screen (with a height
> of about 10..20 pixels), where no picture is displayed
> Hacking the display with xvidtune also does not work, it simply does not
> react to any of my changes.
> So how can I really get TV out working on this card?

The card always outputs native PAL or NTSC, etc. timing.  The "modes"
provided by xrandr just define the desktop size that is downscaled to
the native tv timing.  Changing the mode doesn't change the timing,
only, the desktop size and scaling factor.  To adjust the tv settings,
use xrandr, e.g.,
xrandr --output DIN --set "tv standard" pal
To see all the properties for your connectors, run:
xrandr --verbose

Adjustable over/underscan support has not been implemented with tv-out
at the moment.

Alex