S-Video out with radeon with 'Flyback Lines' showing on the TV

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:32:37 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM,  <uebershark at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The modeline is just there to make xrandr happy.  tv-out has fixed
>> timing (NTSC or PAL, etc.). The "modes" you set are just downscaled to
>> the size of the native timing.  It doesn't matter what mode you set
>> with xrandr, the driver will always program the timing the same way
>> since analog tv only accepted certain fixed modes.
>>
>> Alex
>>
> I've tried switching between NTSC and PAL using 'xrandr --set
> TV_FORMAT PAL /NTSC'
> And my screens flash and seem to reconfigure, but an error message is printed,
> and more importantly the output on the TV stays the same.(At leas I think so..)
> Whats up with that? (I would post the error, but I'm currently not at home..).

The propery is called 'tv standard', so you'd need to do something like
xrandr --output S-video --set 'tv standard' pal/ntsc

> Also, if the timings are fixed, then this could 'simply' mean that my
> TV (which is rather old) is 'not-compatible'.
> If that is so, how the hell does the windows driver 'manage'?

It means the driver doesn't work properly for your card for some
reason.  Does ums work any better?  There were some bugs in the kms
tv-out code that were fixed for 2.6.34, so you might try that.  Can
you post a picture of the problem somewhere?