RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 12:04:14 PDT 2010

My problem that I think matches a thread that dead-ended without solution at
http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-driver-ati@lists.x.org/msg06865.html

One apparent difference is that KDM works. The problem only begins after
login, or if I run startx from runlevel 3 instead of logging in from KDM, but
I too am missing a line from dmesg that contains "...on minor 0".

I'm using openSUSE 11.1 with 2.6.27. Hardware config and Xorg.0.log are at
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/SUSE/111/p1ph1lvf-video.txt

A longer problem description is at
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-xorg/2010-03/msg00000.html

Knoppix 6.2.1 has no such problem.
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-p1ph1lvf-knoppix621-radeon and
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-p1ph1lvf-knoppix621-radeon are
its xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log.

Is there a way get the openSUSE radeon kernel module to recognize this 6 year
old "card" without compiling myself? It's pretty hard to believe that any
radeon this age would not be recognized on a major distro like openSUSE
released several years after the hardware was made.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/