New monitor, pink vertical line and crazy screen resolution with Evergreen + KMS

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Mar 3 09:26:29 PST 2010

I'd bet that if you were to tile something like this pbm (written
directly info the mail buffer; I think I have the syntax correct):

P1
16 4
1010101010101010
0101010101010101
1010101010101010
0101010101010101

and were to look at it under magnification, you'd find that a couple of
the columns were missing.  Ie, that the monitor had squeezed the 1920
columns into 1918.

It probably can accept a range of resolutions -- just like analoge
monitors of yore -- and scales them to fit its hw res.

Even with KMS, I do still see a Printing probed modes for output
section in my Xorg.0.log, but I see that the gtf(1) modelines do
not match those, so comparing the ones from your monitor to gtf
wouldn't be as illustrative as I had assumed.

Perhaps the pink or purple stripe is the (intended) sync pulse.

Maybe there is a bug in the atom bios which the driver needs to work
around?

-JimC