Experimenting with new HD 5750 card, looking for appropriate mailing list

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 22:04:20 PST 2010

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>   It seems like the most appropriate mailing list for that discussion
>> would be dri-users @ SourceForge.  Unfortunately, that list looks pretty
>> much dead.  There is LKML, but that seems to be more for development
>> than testing and user discussions; I'm not (yet) a developer, so I don't
>> want to add noise over there.
>>   This list is for xf86-video-radeon, but I see a thread about HD 5830
>> support here, so I thought I'd ask first.  Where is the best place for
>> me to post results (and kudos) for the people working on Evergreen support?
>
> You've come to the right list.
 >
 > Alex

In that case, here goes.  I mentioned the following in my previous message:

 >> I built two kernels out of the drm-radeon-testing branch, and would
 >> like to share my results.

The first kernel I built worked better than the second.  I have slowly
been learning about git over the past few years, but never had the
opportunity to really try out merging.  Since I had recently built
kernel 2.6.33-rc8 with Radeon DRM + KMS for my HD 4850, I decided to try
merging drm-radeon-testing into 2.6.33-rc8!

I made a local branch off the "v2.6.33-rc8" tag, did a 'git checkout' of
the new branch, ran a 'git merge' using the HEAD commit ID of
drm-radeon-testing, resolved the conflicts in the one file that had
problems (atombios.h -- they were fairly trivial), and used 'git
archive' to prepare a tarball.  (I keep my git repositories on one
machine [hostname="fileserver"], but use the Radeon cards on my main
machine [hostname="desktop"]).

Results (first kernel):

1.  No KMS-radeondrmfb.  Since I had no other framebuffers built into
the kernel, I ended up with VGA text mode.  (I have a non-X runlevel set
up, so the boot scripts were not trying to run X.)  I didn't think to
save 'dmesg', so I cannot provide that until I try the next round of
experiments.

2.  X refused to use my monitor's preferred 1920x1200 resolution.  I was
disappointed, but not surprised:  I am using Debian here, and the Debian
Team had just released some newer packages in "unstable" and
"experimental" for libdrm, Mesa, the X server, and the radeon driver,
but only the radeon driver was including upstream commits from February,
AFAIK.  I think the latest commits that Brice Goglin got into that
version were from Feb. 1 or Feb. 2, but I see that more Evergreen stuff
got into xf86-video-radeon in the days immediate following that.
(Missed it by THAT much!)

Anyway, I was getting 1600x1200 instead of 1920x1200.  Using 'xrandr', I
was able to switch modes to 1280x800, 1600x1200, and... well... it even
lied, and let me select 1920x1200 without error messages, but was only
giving me 1600x1200.  (My monitor has an information feature that
displays current mode setting using on-screen display.)

I think we would all be wise to ignore what I'm reporting about X,
though; the 2.6.33-rc8 kernel was giving me the following warning with
those Debian packages:

     radeon: You have old & broken userspace please consider updating
     mesa & xf86-video-ati

(This morning before work I started building updated libdrm and Mesa
from git; when I got home, I built a much newer X server and
xf86-video-ati.  I can try these new packages on Friday.)

3.  Switching to a virtual terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1 gave me a black
screen; going back to X with Alt-F7 worked fine, though.

Thinking that I had outsmarted myself by getting fancy with the merging
against 2.6.33-rc8, I decided to build the 2.6.32 kernel the way it
appears in drm-radeon-testing.

Results (second kernel):

1.  Black screen in the virtual terminals

2.  Black screen when switching runlevel to X.

This left my head shaking.  I never would have guessed that my playing
around with merging to 2.6.33 would actually work better than a kernel
compiled directly from the experimental git tree!

My main concern is that KMS failed to work with either kernel.  Or does
the black screen mean that 2.6.32 was trying to work (and failing) while
the merged 2.6.33 wasn't even doing that well?

Once again, I didn't think to save 'dmesg'.  When the 2.6.33 kernel
didn't seem to be working, I uninstalled it, deleted the DEB I had made,
and even blew away my local git branch where I had performed the merge.
  Later, I wished I hadn't done that!  However, for the 2.6.32 kernel, I
still have the kernel config I used as well as Xorg.0.log output, if
anyone wants to look at them.  (I can easily redo the merge to
2.6.33-rc8, and will probably do so on Friday.)

In spite of the black screens, I believe the system was functioning just
fine.  I was able to log in blind, and switch runlevels with 'telinit'
to start X.  The hard disk activity led me to believe X was starting up,
and later I was able to recover the Xorg.0.log file, which actually
doesn't look too bad in terms of indicating errors or problems.

My attitude was not very serious during all of these experiments:  I
just thought I'd give it a try to see how well it would work.  Since my
HD 4850 now works perfectly with any software I throw at it, I decided
to remove the HD 5750 so that I have a usable machine during the work week.

This Friday I can easily log into the "desktop" machine via SSH and get
'dmesg', Xorg.0.log, and any other data of interest.  I even bought a
serial port bracket for my motherboard several weeks ago, in case I ever
needed to troubleshoot a crashing kernel.  Neither of these kernels
crashed or hung, but there may be messages going to the screen that do
not get recorded in 'dmesg' or anything in /var/log.  Like with git
merging, I've never used the serial console feature before, so I look
forward to giving it a try.

I welcome suggestions, requests for information, and more code to test!
  Just let me know.

Sincere thanks,
Dave W.